This post may contain affiliate links from iherb.com and other companies, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for your support.
This Low Fat Chimichurri Sauce is easy to make with fresh herbs, to deliver vibrant and fresh flavours to any meat or vegetable. The traditional Argentinian sauce is quite high in fat, but I replicate it using as little oil as possible preserving the mouth-watering flavours.
WHAT IS CHIMICHURRI?
Chimichurri is an Argentinian sauce similar to pesto but parsley and vinegar-based used over grilled beef or poultry to marinate before cooking them or as an enhancer before serving.
The first time I tried chimichurri was back in my home country Venezuela at an Argentinian BBQ Restaurant. Although we have a similar sauce called guasacaca, I will post that one later. Anyway, chimichurri is the bomb! The mix of fresh herbs and spices with a little heat from the chilies is to die for.
IS THIS THE AUTHENTIC RECIPE?
Authentic Argentinian Chimichurri is made with parsley, oregano, onion, and garlic, which I left out because of the fodmap. But cilantro and basil are additions of my own, as well as lemon juice, red wine vinegar and even chili flakes, only because I am a sucker for spicy food. For that reason, I decided to take the best of all chimichurris recipes out there and create the best Low Fat Chimichurri Sauce.
Although I have an intolerance to onion and garlic, I added a very little amount. If you on the contrary are very sensitive to garlic use garlic-infused olive oil which is more tolerable for Fodmap diets.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS LOW FAT CHIMICHURRI SAUCE?
- Fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, and oregano. The latter can be replaced by dry if you can’t get your hands on the fresh one. It’ll will taste just fine.
- Garlic. If you are fodmap sensitive leave out or use infused olive oil.
- Red Wine Vinegar. If you don’t have it don’t sweat it use white wine vinegar or just plain vinegar, but use less amount if using the latter.
- Lemon Juice. For best flavour use fresh squish lemon.
- Sea Salt. I used pink Himalayan salt, also I did not add too much but feel free to add more if you wish.
- Red Pepper Chili Flakes. I love spicy food but if you don’t just omit this ingredient.
- Olive Oil. This recipe has a little extra virgin olive oil used, compared with the authentic recipes, if you would like to use more, do it.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS SKINNY CHIMICHURRI SAUCE?
You can make this Low Fat Chimichurri Sauce with 2 different methods.
Finely chop parsley, cilantro, oregano, and basil. Mince the garlic, add everything else into a bowl and stir well to combine.
Food Processor Method (my preferred):
When using a food processor, you still have to pre-chop roughly the herbs and mince the garlic. Add everything else but half of the chili flakes into the food processor and blend until smooth. Then transfer to a bowl and decorate with the rest of the chili flakes.
FAQS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS LOW FAT CHIMICHURRI SAUCE?
CAN I USE DRIED OREGANO?
Yes, indeed. But fresh oregano has a better flavour. Although, I don’t usually have it at home, so I use dry oregano or plan ahead and buy some fresh. 9g of fresh oregano = 1 tsp dried oregano.
CAN I LEAVE OUT ONE OF THE INGREDIENTS OR SWAP IT?
As I mentioned earlier in the post, of course, it won’t taste the same, but still delicious. Try and see.
HOW LONG DOES THE SKINNY CHIMICHURRI LAST?
If you store it in an airtight container in the fridge it should last 2 weeks. But be aware that after a couple of days the colour might fade from a bright green to a darker green.
CAN I FREEZE THE CHIMICHURRI?
Yes, place it in an ice cube tray so you can grab it as you need it, best practice transfer it to an airtight container after frozen. Like this would last up to a month. Thaw in the fridge before using.
TIPS FOR THE BEST LOW FAT CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- Use fresh herbs, they will deliver the best flavour.
- Pre-chopping the herbs before using the food processor will help with the texture.
- Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
HOW TO SERVE THIS SKINNY CHIMICHURRI SAUCE WITH?
Chimichurri goes well over anything grilled like
- Beef, chicken, salmon, shrimp
- Corn on the cob
- Can be used as a salad dressing or
- Marinade rather than a sauce
- As a dipping sauce for fries, sweet potato wedges, or my Zucchini Fritters
- Over Tostones (oven, fried, or air fried plantains)
Seriously, over everything you might think of, there are no limits.
WANT TO CHECK OUT MORE SAVORY RECIPES?
Gluten Free Corn Tortillas
High Protein Bolognese Sauce
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Lamb Turkey Kofta
Lean Beef Burgers High Protein
Gluten Free Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
Thai Green Curry Paste
Cheddar Chorizo Brussels Sprouts
Hope you enjoy my recipe and give it a go, snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @ikarlina_l #ikarolina_l so I can see it. Also, I am on Pinterest iKarolinaL and Facebook ikarolinal . It will make my day.
Share this recipe for Low Fat Chimichurri Sauce on social media
This is my recipe for Low Fat Chimichurri Sauce. If you like the recipe then consider sharing it with other BBQ lovers on social media.
If you try this recipe, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me a comment below!
LOW FAT CHIMICHURRI SAUCECourse: RecipesCuisine: ArgentinianDifficulty: Easy
This smooth Low Fat Chimichurri Sauce is perfect for any grilled meat or veggie. Tacos, dressing salads, or as a marinade. Great for the summer months to have it with your BBQ.
½ Cup Fresh Coriander leaves, packed
½ Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves, Packed
¼ Cup Fresh Basil Leaves, Packed
2 tbsp water or veggie broth
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
½ tsp organic dry oregano
¼ tsp sea salt, Celtic finely ground
¼ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
½ tsp chili flakes (optional)
1 garlic clove, minced (optional leave out for fodmap)
- Hand Method:
- Finely chop the herbs and minced the garlic if using. Add to a medium bowl or a glass jar with the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Food Processor Method:
- Pre-chop the fresh herbs roughly, and add them to the food processor, with the minced garlic (if using), and the other ingredients. Pulse, stop, and scrape down the sides occasionally until finely smooth.
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories50
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Sodium 76mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.